Indirect Tax Manager, APAC
Start Your Journey With Us
Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
The primary responsibility of the Indirect Tax Manager is to coordinate and manage all aspects of the local indirect tax compliance and reporting and reports to the Director, Tax, Asia Pacific. In addition to the key tax compliance activities, this role also works closely with project team members, property associates and system vendors to deliver integrated, automated, reliable VAT return, reconciliation and reporting solutions across various financial applications.
Effort will include working with business and technical team members to define requirements, develop appropriate designs, define valid values for vendors to enter into financial applications, validating entry and testing solutions.
In addition to the primary activities focused on configuration and conversion, this position will also provide overall application expertise and assist with general business and process design, system testing and change management support to include training, deployment and post production activities.
Education and Experience
- 5 - 7 years’ experience in Indirect Tax, financial accounting and reporting experience with a focus on VAT accounting a benefit
- Lodging / hospitality experience a plus
- Functional application development and support experience also a benefit
- Prior experience supporting large-scale system implementation projects preferred
- Experience in relationship management with other key stakeholders
- An ability to work unsupervised and manage time efficiently
- University degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or Information Systems related discipline preferred
- Broad knowledge hotel accounting and finance processes and systems, PeopleSoft financial applications or SAP applications preferred
- Understanding of Asia Pacific’s indirect tax requirements; knowledge of generally accepted finance and accounting policies, principles and controls.
- Understands, embraces and manages project planning and execution methodology, including the associated tools, work plan schedules, issue resolution tracking and status review updates.
- Ability to manage multiple work activities concurrently with minimal supervision; applies past experiences to identify alternative solutions for current problems, able to understand and adjust to changing priorities, circumstances, direction, and personal styles.
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to maintain effective relationships, both internally and externally with a broad group of stakeholders. Communicates effectively, both orally and in writing; listens to others and effectively comprehends information.
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative work environment.
- Ability to identify, clarify and resolve issues and risks related to project design, build and test activities, escalating them as needed.
- Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical skills; ability to take large volumes of complex information and present it in a clear and concise manner.
- Analytical and logical thinking skills are essential; Innovative thinker and agile learner; able to readily apply past learnings in new situations to generate solutions
- Flexible and supportive - able to understand and adjust to changing priorities, circumstances, direction, and personal styles.
- Ability to review project deliverables for completeness, quality and compliance with established project standards.
- Strong business integrity and ability to hold sensitive information in confidence.
- Must be able to able to work in English. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing on technical accounting and taxation issues
- Ability and willingness to travel
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Visio and PowerPoint applications.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Indirect Tax compliance for Marriott entities and properties
- Effectively manage the relationship with finance and accounting teams and local tax advisors to ensure indirect tax returns of Marriott entities are properly prepared, timely filed, appropriately documented
- Facilitate the collection of data required to prepare tax returns
- Responsible for collecting data and prepare / review local indirect tax returns in a timely and accurate manner
- Ensure compliance with tax filing obligations including tax payments and returns
- Conduct on-site review of indirect tax return preparation and filing processes if required
- Manage indirect tax related reviews or projects with local tax advisors
- Monitor tax related legislative and regulatory developments that may affect the company’s operations
- Assist HQ and APAC Tax Team to manage indirect tax audits
- Work with HQ and Continent team on tax related initiatives and projects
- Advise and provide operational guidance on indirect tax implications for business operations, liaising closely with various teams ensuring indirect tax risk is managed appropriately
- Coordinate and approve payment of professional fees
- Identify process improvements, especially technological enhancements
- Perform other duties as assigned
Indirect Tax project
- Define indirect tax return and other requirements by country
- Define and load report definitions for each in scope country
- Run reports, test, address as needed
- Define and document processes to maintain VAT configuration and process for new countries / entities
- Update progress on tasks on the regular status report and meeting.
- Assist with business process analysis to help resolve issues and complete deliverables as required.
- Support development and delivery of change management materials to enable end user adoption of new applications.
- Help with testing, training, deployment and post production support.
- Work collaboratively with key stakeholders and subject matter experts to ensure alignment and consistency with broader project efforts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Adaptability - Maintains performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Building and Contributing to Teams - Participates as a member of a team to move toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
- Coworker Relationships - Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Talent Management - Provides support and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
- Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
- Tax-The ability to apply knowledge of tax laws/statutes to account for and report on tax obligations; interpret, recommend and/or defend the application of tax laws/statutes relative to a business transaction; and/or develop strategies to minimize tax expense.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension – Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.