Young Professionals Program
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB’s mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB’s main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 member countries.
The Young Professionals Program (YPP) is an entry-level recruitment program to attract highly qualified and motivated individuals to ADB. YPP provides the foundation for a challenging and rewarding professional career in an international development environment, and offers a range of opportunities to develop professional skills and understanding of ADB's operations, policies and procedures. Selected Young Professionals will be placed to one of the Bank’s departments or offices that best fit their skills and competencies, and contribute to the achievement of ADB’s Strategy 2020 (and subsequently Strategy 2030).
Young Professionals will contribute to ADB's mission and execution of main instruments comprising loans, technical assistance (TA), grants, advice, and knowledge. The incumbent will report to a Director or designated International Staff, and may supervise national and administrative staff.
a. Strategy and Planning
- Assist and participate towards the development of policy and strategy of ADB
- Apply own complex specialist knowledge to support others in research and analysis including development impact of ADB operations.
b. Project Management
- Assist and participate in the development, processing and administration of non-complex loans, grants and/or TA projects.
- Support integration of ADB’s policies and guidelines in the design and implementation of projects.
c. Knowledge Sharing
- Support and contribute to ADB’s activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- At least a university degree in Economics, Finance, Business Administration, Engineering, Environment, Law, Social Sciences, Public Policy, or other areas relevant to ADB’s operations.
- At least 2 years of relevant professional experience in any of the following fields: macro or development economics, climate change, commercial/investment banking or corporate investment, education, energy, environment, financial sector, public health, public-private partnership, rural development, transport, urban planning, water operations, and agriculture and natural resources. PhD will be considered in lieu of work experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Ability to work with different nationalities and cultural backgrounds
- International experience in areas related to ADB operations will be an asset
- No close relatives in ADB
- Not more than 32 years old upon joining ADB
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.