China Branch Manager
Place of work
Salary offered (gross)
Upon agreement (including relocation package)
Information about the company
StudentMarketing is an established and recognized market intelligence and strategic development authority in the international education sector with 10 years market experience and both UNWTO Affiliate and ESOMAR memberships.
We provide market research and strategic development services to over 100 governments, institutions, investors and diverse groups of high ranking companies in 47 countries around the globe.
Our international team of 30 highly dynamic and innovative professionals is drawn from 8 nationalities and located in 4 offices and is committed to achieving great outcomes and extraordinary results.
Information about the position
We are looking for a smart and experienced individual to represent our China Branch and lead the local team of 7 young (between 25-35 years old) and talented staffers.
You will be second in command, reporting directly to the CEO of the China Branch, managing all day-to-day operations, and maintaining day-to-day oversight of the staff, the branch company and ongoing projects.
It is an exciting opportunity for the right individual (experienced or one seeking a new career challenge and step-up), who is able to carry the serious responsibility of nurturing, growing and expanding our China Branch and its HR, clients, projects, suppliers and products.
First, let us describe the type of person we are looking for and whether you match the profile…
Your values come first - you are a committed leader, with proven loyalty and dedicated engagement; respectful to others and generous of spirit; considering others before yourself; being kind and just.
Your ambitions come before skills - you can think big, see the big picture. You compare with the best, you are passionate about goals, and committed to excellence, rather than good, or average; you identify with the likes of Jack Ma or Bill Gates.
You are an entrepreneur, a mobilizer, inspirational, intelligent, ethical, respectful, prudent, rigorous, observant, cool-headed, open, precise, analytical & tactical. You keep your promises.
You come from an international business environment and are keenly aware of the demands of operating in an intercultural setting. You understand China business culture and practices of course have a solid understanding and operational Mandarin proficiency.
The company’s executive staff is based in EU headquarters and as most of our colleagues come from Europe, having solid understanding of Western standards yet being “China smart“ and knowing well Chinese business culture is a must if you want to succeed in your role and gain respect of your new team.
Ideally, you have 5-7 years of experience in middle to higher management position in foreign enterprise, WFOE or joint venture, so this would represent a natural step in your career.
Your experience comes mainly from international education or from other areas, such as: travel & tourism, b2b sales & marketing, commerce or consulting.
If you come from IT, engineering, logistics, construction, or other heavy industry or high-tech areas, then this job is most likely not the right match for you.
Your character and values reflect our spirit and corporate culture
Ambition - you have high aspirations and goals and you are ready to work hard to achieve them even if it means coming to office first and leaving last, day-to-day.
High standards – you have a commitment to excellence for yourself and for your team. You keep the standards high and you don’t sacrifice on the quality of people, processes or deliveries.
Leadership - you lead and inspire your team with charisma and by example.
Business acumen and balance - you understand the dynamics between CEO, COO, Management, Project Managers, and Administration, can balance and mediate different views with respect and success.
Intercultural awareness – you pay attention to cultural differences within the team, able to integrate and communicate best practices from both Western and Eastern values and make everyone feel included and welcome.
Management - you get things done efficiently, as a team. You manage the team as an "older brother", not as a "big brother", respecting and dedicating time equally to each individual team member.
Personal Network – you are a well-established individual with a stable environment of family, friends and local community as well as a solid personal network & of course guanxi.
Finances - you have experiences with corporate finances (ideally international). You are prudent and deliberate when it comes to finances. You have good judgement, analytical thinking and experience in planning and reporting. Your numbers add up.
Skills and qualifications in short
- Leadership skills and experience
- English proficiency (fluent)
- Mandarin proficiency (operational)
- Business correspondence (advanced)
- Intercultural understanding and effective communication
- HR and project management
- Planning & management of financial resources
- Strategic planning and implementation
- Sound judgement and decision making
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Risk and crisis management
- Human Resources management including performance monitoring and assessment
- Persuasion and negotiation skills
- Networking skills and public appearances
- General knowledge of international business development
Job description, responsibilities and duties
- Keep the CEO fully informed in a timely and candid manner
- Help the CEO position the company competitively within industry
- Present new ideas and strategies to CEO and Senior Management Officers
- Participate in Senior Management Meetings
- Develop an annual plan that supports the company’s long-term strategy
- Implement business strategies, plans and procedures
- Set comprehensive goals for performance and growth
- Lead the team and the branch toward sustainable growth and profitability
- Establish and support policies that promote branch company’s culture and vision
- Oversee daily operations and ensure the smooth functioning of all processes
- Ensure the smooth functioning of all the processes in the branch company
- Build a great working environment motivating staff performance and dedication
- Evaluate performance by analyzing and interpreting data and metrics
- Create/adjust/check/sign agreements with partners
- Coordinate with HR suppliers to recruit skilled talent and keep the best employees
- Participate in expansion activities (investments, acquisitions, corporate alliances etc.)
- Manage relationships with clients, partners and local suppliers
A vibrant international business environment of dedicated professionals as colleagues, and high-level clients in international education, marketing, and investments.
A well-established corporate culture built on solid professional values, standards and processes to sustain our further growth and development;
A fantastic team of people that are like family, spending time together, organizing fun filled team buildings and create an extraordinary working atmosphere based on comradery, friendship and sense of belonging.
A flexible and open (Google like) working atmosphere
The opportunity to travel and meet partners all around the world
An attractive reward structure that includes annual sales bonus as well as profit share scheme in addition to a dedicated budget for professional development and coaching.
Benefits in short
- Notebook (executive level)
- Smartphone with monthly plan (executive level)
- Flexible work time
- Home office (1x/week)
- Visa support (for expat candidates) & assistance for international travel
- Professional development budget, and coaching with industry experts
- Regular team-buildings with the team in China and Europe
- International travel with flight mileage program and access to business lounges
- Relocation package (if applicable)
- Profit sharing
- Annual sales bonus
- Monthly wellness contribution
- Comprehensive annual medical check (fully covered)
- Retirement contribution into private pension fund (extra)
Information about the selection process
Only serious candidates who will thrive on our values and are able to make a long-term commitment need apply.
Please study us deeply and think carefully before applying and apply only "if you can read us and have our DNA".
To apply please send your CV and a cover letter in English along with any previous references, recommendations or achievements.
Your cover letter should include not only why you believe are suitable for this position, but we would like to know also about your long-term ambitions, your life philosophy, how you spend your average day and what are your personal values and why.
We ask all applicants to complete short assignment to assess their abilities. Based on the assignment performance and CV we invite suitable candidates for in-person interviews.
Please indicate if a relocation package or visa support for expat are required.
Additional information about the company can be found at
Company website - http://www.student-market.com
Company profile - https://pan.baidu.com/s/1pKFDsyJ
Affiliate member of UNWTO - http://www2.unwto.org/
Member of ESOMAR - http://www.esomar.org/
Industry authority - http://www.student-market.com/press
Industry speaker - http://www.student-market.com/presentations
a: Salztorgasse 2, 1010 Vienna, Austria p: +43-650-612-4527
a: Ocean Int. 604, Xinkai Rd, 300011, Tianjin, China p: +86-22-5815-8599
a: Dunajska 8, 81108 Bratislava, Slovakia p: +421-2-2102-5205
a: Bakossova 8, 97401 Banska Bystrica, Slovakia p: +421-48-415-2404