The Systems Architect will report to the President of the University, and serve as a member of FUV’s leadership team. In this role, the Systems Architect will understand the goals and the needs of the university’s various functions, and develop and implement technology solutions to address these needs.
The Systems Architect will lead the development and implementation of technology systems underpinning FUV’s core operations including student outreach, admissions, student enrollment management, campus operations and administration, university research, and alumni relations management. We envision that this person will manage the planning and implementation of full system build-outs, as well as implement creative ad hoc technology solutions when quick fixes are required. This person will ensure that FUV’s IT systems function smoothly and securely – proactively identifying and mitigating risks, as well as addressing any issues that arise in a timely manner. The Systems Architect will also lead the hiring and management of IT personnel as well as the management of IT contractors when needed.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Leading the design of FUV’s systems architecture based on FUV’s needs and growth, with a focus on both initial implementation and continuous improvement.
- Managing the full implementation cycle of IT projects and ensuring projects are completed at quality, on time, and within budget. This includes: understanding needs, identifying requirements, selecting vendors and solutions, drafting plans, timelines, and budgets, designing and developing solutions, testing and prototyping, preparing and conducting trainings, and defining support procedures.
- Managing FUV’s ongoing IT operations, including: setting up, maintaining, and regularly reviewing IT standards, procedures, and processes; supervising day-to-day IT operations; defining SLAs with external service providers and internal end users; troubleshooting problems; and preparing and conducting ongoing IT trainings.
- Hiring and managing in-house IT personnel.
- 8 years of relevant IT industry or consulting experience, including at least 3 years of experience leading large technology engagements
- At least 3 years of experience with application architecture analysis, design and delivery
- Experience with at least 3 full system development life cycle implementations
- Strong English and Vietnamese communication skills (verbal and written), with the ability to communicate complex issues to technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to collaborate effectively with various functions within FUV and external service providers
- Effective people management and mentorship skills
- Strong alignment with FUV’s educational mission and a passion for education
- Bachelor’s Degree in an IT related field or equivalent experience. Master degree highly preferred